Saturday, August 6, 2011

Thermomonitor

The past week has been particularly taxing. After the wonderful birthday party last Saturday and a nice lazy Sunday spent talking about old times at a friend's house, Monday opened its doors as usual. It was time for Arnav's three year checkup and as the doctor remarked
"This has been the easiest of all check-ups so far". A reminder that the kid is growing up. He jumped up on the exam table, took long breaths, showed his ears, answered the doctor and came bouncing towards me with
"All done Mommy. I didn't cry"
"No shots this time." The doctor said and we rejoiced some more.

As we were leaving for the doctor's, Caunteya came in. I had asked for help with Manav so that I could take Arnav for his check-up. Manav wanted to come along too. He wanted the lollipop that you get after a check-up. I told him I will get that , he can stay at home with Papa and have a good time. He denied.
"Hey Manav, how can you leave? I just came in. Please stay with me." Caunteya tried his father charm
"Papa, you can look at a picture of me. I need to go for Arnav's check-up" Manav walked away

At 12:40 AM (how can I be so certain? well when a kid walks in, I always check the time) Manav walked in our room
"Mommy, my throat is making funny sounds"
"Oh, come over" and I pulled him on the bed and was shocked to be hugging a hot bundle. He registered 103.6 F on the thermometer. So Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday went in a medicine and thermometer blur. Arnav refused to leave his brother's side. He refused to go to school though that is what we all would have preferred ( all -- me and Caunteya).
"Manav is sick. How can I go to school?" Arnav said shrugging his little shoulders, when we coaxed him to go to school, at least to distribute his Birthday cupcakes.
Instead he insisted on getting the "thermomonitor" and checking Manav's temperature every now and then. Insisted on pretending to be sick and "drink" his medicine (water). Insisted on pushing Manav's stroller around the house checking with him if he needed something. ( I got the stroller as Manav wanted to be carried and that was too much for my back). Its the misty eyed feeling when they are such "brothers".

But the older one is a conman. Manav when freed from the throes of fever with the medication would embark right into preaching his brother about all the problems with the "Mc Queen" cars. On and on he would go, painstakingly inventing issues with the cars(so that Manav would give them up) and Arnav would hang onto each word of his. Whenever we would try to intervene Manav would put that finger on his lips
"Shhh Arnav its our secret. Don't let them know"
and Arnav would shake his head in affirmation.
"Arnav why don't you get your cars?" we would ask
"Dada (Manav) would be angry" he would demur.

Manav has made rules -- car visitation rules
1. You need to ask if you want to see a car.
2. He will hold up that car and you can see it for sometime
3. You cannot touch the car or take it

 which are more stringent than the earlier ones
1. You can ask for a car and take it
2. Don't forget to return it when asked for.

The other strategies he has used (always comes up with new ones)

"Arnav I want the papers" referring to the paper casings that the cars come in when we buy them. They usually have the name of the car and pictures of other cars with a "Collect them all" , at the back.
"No, Manav I want the papers" Arnav in his usual style
"Ok, you can have them. I will take the cars" Manav actually looked crestfallen. He is a great actor.

"Arnav how old are you?"
"Three"
"How many cars do you have?"
"Three"
"See, matches" Manav cheers him on. There are at least 10+ total cars now.
"Manav you are four years old" Arnav says. I perk up, at least the little one is thinking.
"Yes, that's our secret Arnav" Manav says in a conspiratorial tone. Arnav, if he was really thinking on the lines I was, seemed to have forgotten it and smiled, content in the fact that he was being included in dada's top secret.

And the story continues. Bottom line is Manav has hoarded all the cars sans Doc Hudson, a PVC McQueen whose wheels don't turn ( this was on the Birthday cake), an eraser yellow cars 2 character ( I don't know the name) and (surprise) Francesco Bernoulli. Manav decided to part with Francesco as it "doesn't have a body" referring to the race car look.

The other day I took the boys with me to Old Navy. They were getting a little too comfortable, hence louder at the store so I asked Manav to help me choose a t-shirt. Here were his comments
"This one is good, but has too many jewels on it" pointing to the blings and chains
"This one is too little. Will not cover you up Mommy" pointing to a tankini
"This one looks good. Will cover you up. Lets try this one Mommy" pointing to a almost high-neck, sleeved t-shirt, the very sight of which made me feel uncomfortably warm. As it is I was warming up to the thought that Manav liked his mom sheathed from head to toe, maybe a burkha would be his favorite.

This morning I was eager to send the boys to school after being under house arrest the rest of the week. I was calling Arnav to come and brush but he ignored me. After a couple of times I yelled
"Arnav, you are coming here right now or will be in big trouble"
He comes in the bathroom, gives me a calm look and says
"Mommy, when someone is watching something you must wait. You cannot yell. When someone is doing something bad then you can yell"
Just then I realised Arnav was looking at the rainbow made by the sprinklers in the yard. His favorite pass time. I was humbled and hung my head in a silent 'Sorry'.

Today, before bed, after brushing Arnav and Caunteya got in a tiff. Arnav had just rinsed and cannot have water before 30 minutes. But Arnav wanted water. And when Arnav wants water ( he always does, he is a guzzler) no one can stop him. Caunteya tried coaxing, cajoling, logic nothing worked. He had his water. On the bed Arnav said
"I want my blanket Mommy"
Caunteya went to cover him.
"I didn't ask for water Papa. I just asked for a blanket"
He had his last word. Arnav our surprise baby, never ceases to surprise us albeit in his quiet charming demeanor. Being three has sort of set him free. Yes, the kid has grown up.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Ashu has taken a very special place in our lives :-) as well. More so in Neil's life! I love how they have become "brothers in arms," literally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their passion for cars is beyond imagination! Manav was telling me yesterday about how he'd asked his cars to take care of each other while he is away for work :)

    ReplyDelete