Friday, May 25, 2012

All about us ...

Summer Holidays are upon us and we have decided to just do "nothing". The boys are not going to summer school and I have grandiose plans of going to bed late, sleep till late in the morning, play all day, frequent library and swimming pool and eat out a lot - just get out of schedule without the guilt. And I also know how I will crave for schedule and some sanity just in a week into summer. These holidays last almost two and a half months. Survival is the key.

"We are going to have so much fun in the library with legos, bugs, books, snakes and movies" I said
"Angry snakes or happy snakes?" Arnav asked
"Happy if the snake got to capture its prey or else it will be angry" Manav confirmed.

These are Manav's last days in pre-school. So in are school parties, graduation parties and the likes. They are having dress rehearsals for the graduation. I cannot wait for the actual day so have been gleaning information from Manav as much as he would budge.
"We are singing 'When I grow up....I have a secret'....but its not actually a secret because we whisper but you can listen"
"We had skittles for dessert today during lunch as we did very good in our rehearsals" Manav said
"Iiiiiieeee didn't get any" Arnav whined
"You will also get next year when you graduate Arnav" I tried to contain the situation
"I will neyyyyver graduate. I want my skittles now." Arnav is such a baby at times but his words did scare me. I mean these kids have a choice when it comes to studies. They can actually drop out of high school, college and the likes? When did we as a students have that option? Anyways I am not sure whether to be glad or unhappy about this liberty.

Beta hamara aisa kaam karega

And liberty reminds me Arnav always keeps saying his 'Pledge of allegiance' at the drop of a hat.
"I pledge allegiance to the food I eat"
"I pledge allegiance to Ninjagos and Angry Bird" and so on.

The latest Ninjago Lego

The other day Caunteya mentioned we will watch the match between Nadal and Djokovic and said
"I will support Nadal"
"I will support Nadal too as Djokovic has 'witch' in his name and that is not good" Arnav said
"No, no, it is not the same witch" Manav said
"It is 'vic' not 'witch'" Caunteya offered.
"Well, Arnav sandwich has 'witch' but you still eat it" I started
"But sandwich is food. Humans cannot have witch in their name. That is not good" Arnav maintained his stand.

And today the name contention was repeated in the car.
"Listen Arnav there is a bird called Parakeet. Now do not cry or whine, just listen. When I showed the picture of a parakeet that day and asked you what bird is it, you said it is parrot but actually it is a parakeet"
"Noooo. It is a parrot. Keet is its last name. So thats why it is parrot keet - parakeet" Arnav reasoned.
"Now this may seem funny but it is very true. Birds dont have last names, only humans do" Manav was treading thin line here as we all are very wary of Arnav's wrath.
"No I think some birds have last names. Just like the parrot" Arnav insisted and we let it go for obvious reasons.

Arnav has become very vocal these days. He uses his words like pro.
"Hey Mommy can you ever guess what happened?"
"What" I was sleepily brushing my teeth this morning
"Three tomatoes turned red. Can you even imagine?" I wish I could record his voice for the effect. This guy needs to be in movies or in the circus at least.
"No way, Arnav" I played along
"Yes way, Mommy. You have to come look" Of course.

Last night Arnav was very cranky and I was even crankier. So I yelled at him.
"Mommy my lungs are hurting as you yelled at me" Arnav cried even louder pointing to his throat.
"I yelled, my lungs should hurt, not yours" I have no clue why I was reasoning with him at 8:30 PM at night with a splitting backache.
"Yes, you yelled at me so my lungs are hurting" Arnav sobbed.

And this morning he was very sure
"My teeth have rashes Mommy, look"

And the other day in the car when they were snacking on cantaloupe pieces.
"Hey how do you like your panta poop?" Arnav asked Manav
"Mommy, Arnav said a bad word" Manav immediately had to catch him
"But I was just rhyming" Arnav clarified, just the way he does for
"Hey I am saying the nice 'but' word not the one which is a part of the body and has two t's. That's a bad word" Yeah, right.

Dining table still remains the favorite spot to hang out and eat-less-talk-more and answer trivia. The other day I was doing the rapid-fire rounds
"What does caravan start with Arnav?"
"C"
"What does pencil start with Manav?"
"P"
and after a couple such
"What does knife start with Arnav?"
"N"
"No, K. Just like knee starts with K and phone starts with P" Manav was confusing Arnav, one could see that in Arnav's expression.

Just now Manav barged in and read everything on this screen and announced
"Hey this is all about us" I agreed.

This sure is all about the boys. I just cannot remember when everything else ceased and it became all about them. Each moment, awake or asleep; each heartbeat, relaxed or hammering; each breath, calm or strained; each gesture, loving or threatening; each meal, healthy or junk; each plan, well researched or just in time; each post, hurried or written at leisure is all about them. These two boys who started as single cells in my body have consumed me and my life to all possible extents. And wise as I am, I know, they will just like that leave me and my life all to myself and leave. And will I cherish that liberty? Well as I said earlier, am not sure whether I will be glad or unhappy about this liberty.
"This may sound funny, but is true" As Manav would say.

1 comment:

  1. You know how much I love learning about the boys through your posts! Ashu still cracks me up like no one else. He is my genius, stand-up comedian. I am eternally his fan, already :-)

    ReplyDelete