Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Straw cigarette

Daylight saving or not if the driver decides to go early everyone must follow suit. Caunteya had a meeting at 8:30 AM so all of them were out by 8:05 AM. Reminds me of our rickshawala who used to take us to school. Our school bus had its own route and we didn't figure in it. Everything depended on the rickshawala, if he was late we'd be late, if he was early we'd scamper to make it in his rickshaw and if he didn't turn up we'd have an unexpected holiday unless any parent was around and would consent to drop us to school.

On ride back from school, Arnav said he painted in purple and Manav said he made snakes. I had seen the thin cut out paper plates with which they were supposed to make snakes. I pretended to be aghast and said
"Snakes are dangerous and will bite you"
"No Mommy these are pretend snakes. Don't be afraid of them. They don't know how to open their mouth" Manav assured.

Then he turned very teary and cried for his papa and pasta. Not sure what he wanted more. Finding idli sambar instead of pasta made him madder. He decided to toast his own chocolate waffle. Arnav on the other hand happily slurped the idli sambar. So much for being siblings. But now I am an experienced Mommy and I just let them eat, not eat, sleep, not sleep, pee, not pee, in short am super cool ( the fine print says - at the end of the day as now I still have that nagging guilt - the kids didn't have milk in the evening).

Food done they were happy once more. Started playing with the flash cards. Manav collected his planets, stars and sun and gave a couple of vague ones to Arnav. Then he started quizzing Arnav
"Arnav what is this?"
"Chocolate Brownie" pat came the reply
"No Arnav, it is soil. This is where plants grow. The seeds become stems and leaves and roots. Roots suck up water. But before putting the seeds in the soil don't forget to remove the seed coat"
By this time he had lost his sole audience.
"Mommy Arnav doesn't know all this. He is a baby" Manav told me with a sideways glance.
"Yes, Manav, you need to teach him. You are the big brother" I said
"I am teaching him Mommy. I told him all about comments."
"Comments?"
"This one, right here" showing the 'Comet' flash card.

Then they started riding their bikes. Yes, they do that often on the devoid of furniture living room
Arnav said
"This is MY bicycle"
"No yours is a tricycle. Babies ride that. Mine is a bicycle" Manav rubbed it in
"This is my BICYCLE" Arnav said with a louder voice
"No bicycles have two wheels. Tricycle has three. Yours is a tricycle"
"Mommieeeeee" Arnav's wail, a harbinger of trouble yanked me of my comfortable position infront of the laptop

Late afternoon we went to the library. Arnav wanted to go to the park and Manav said
"We will go to the library. Come back home, drop the books and then go to the park. How about that Arnav?"
Arnav nodded meekly.
We got books and read in the library. Then they presented a puppet show about a polar bear and shark and dinosaur. It was pretty imaginative, most of the talking done by Manav. I would have loved to present it here just that the post would be too long.

Then on a whim we went to the indian cafe next doors. The boys had half a mango pastry while I enjoyed samosa and milky sweet elaichi tea. On way back from the cafe Manav picked up a straw. He started smoking it like a cigarette and I was very surprised
"What is that Manav? What are you doing?"
"Just like the neighbor does Mommy"
"What neighbor? " Now it was making sense
"The one we have downstairs. He puts in mouth and then snatches it away like this and there is so much smoke." complete with actions.
I decided not to discuss it further and he had a great time "smoking" till we reached the car. On way there he stepped on a metal wire and I instinctively said it was dangerous and he shouldn't meddle with it. When I was putting his belts on in the car seat Manav said straw in hand
"I want to be that metal wire Mommy"
"Why?" I was intrigued
"Because I want to be dangerous"
Next I did something mindless. I kissed and hugged him and said my boy is such a sweet thing, he can never be dangerous. Manav just smiled.

This reminds me of the incident that happened in Austin. The elder cousin ( 7 year old) was resting on a one of those big armchairs which you can spin. And Manav was spinning the same so he said
"Don't spin. I don't like it"
"My ears are not working" Manav said and continued spinning
"Hey, I told you not to spin." he said irritatedly.
"My ears are still not working." Manav continued with a smug smile.

From the cafe we went to the Preston Meadow Park and Manav chanced upon his classmate and they had a great time. Arnav was doing extra stunts today, jumping from quite some heights, rope climbing and other new things that are there in that park. Somehow he is ahead of Manav in these things.

Manav hadn't napped in the afternoon and we were looking forward to him falling asleep sooner. Caunteya said
"Manav, let's go sleep. I have to work after that"
"No papa, you finish work and then I will sleep"
"Work will go on for a while. If you don't sleep now you will have to sleep on your own" Caunteya threatened
"Its fine Papa. You take your time, go on."
And it took some candied bait to get him to bed. Gosh where do they get all this energy from? If only we could live like kids. Simple and happy always.

1 comment:

  1. Some very nice analogies here - Rickshaw-waala and Caunteya; Chocolate Brownie and soil, should I add straw and cigarette too - LOL!

    ReplyDelete