Saturday, April 30, 2011

Convertible Bike

"You're the best, Mommy" declared Manav as he went to bed today.
"Oh, thank you Manav"
"Papa is the best too. You and Papa are the best" he reiterated
"Do you really think that we are good parents?" I asked guiltily reminded of the many missed glasses of evening milk, no reading done days together, being completely engrossed in my sewing or house hunt.
"Yes, you are the best" and he dozed off after a long nap-less Saturday while I stared at him unable to fathom when he grew up to actually compliment me.

Well seems like I am not the only one to be complimented. Last night we were at our friend's place and she fed them dosa. Manav said
"You're the best cooker Sheetal aunty. You make very good food"

Being four is all about reasoning and lots of it, combined with a great memory and a very decent vocabulary. Manav goes to great lengths to explain things, mostly to Arnav. Arnav was having trouble eating as he thought that his food was hot. Manav, always eager to help said
"Suppose I got a hot waffle. I then wait. Then it gets warm. I wait some more, blow on it and then it becomes cool and I eat. Don't let it go cold, then it doesn't taste good. Ok Arnav?"
Arnav tentatively blew on his waffle (spraying it with spit in the process) and then took a bite
"Yes, you are right Manav" he declared gleefully.

The other day a friend of ours had come from California. While picking her up I told Manav that Tina aunty is from another state which starts with a 'C'
"California" pat comes the reply.
She got him a set of presidential motorcade complete with Air force 1. They had a great time playing with it. Manav was driving the limousine and said
"President Obama wants to drive by himself. Arnav please go away"
"The police has to be here, Obama" Arnav replied with the police jeep in tow.
On way back after dropping her off Manav remarked
"We will have to take a flight to California. We cannot drive to there"
"Thats correct Manav." Caunteya said
"Yes, Mommy remember you went to Las Vegas in a plane? Just like that we need to go in a plane to California."
This morning they were again playing with the motorcade and Manav wanted all the cars, jeeps, helicopter and aeroplane so Arnav was left with a couple of cones and roadblock signs. Manav said
"These are construction things Arnav" and sold the idea to him
"Yes, I want all the instructions" and Arnav got busy collecting them while Manav happily played with the cars.

Today evening we went to the park. In an effort to fit Arnav's bike in the Corolla we had undone the backrest and it was hanging loose on the screws. When the boys took out the bikes, Arnav was a little crestfallen seeing his bike thus. Manav glorified the whole thing saying
"Arnav, look now you can drive a convertible bike. How cool is that?"
and Arnav took off on his bike dragging the backrest behind him pretty much like Kate Middleton's train.

Last Friday I took the boys to McDonald's right after school. They had a great time eating there followed by playing in the play area. I sat with Arnav and Manav was on the other side of the table. He said
"I am all alone"
"Are you the queen Manav? The queen is all alone" Arnav said, referring to the queen bee song that Manav sings.
Arnav is still an ardent fan of homework and was crying to get a homework page of his own. Caunteya comforted him saying
"We will ask Ms Foley to give two homework pages to Manav, so that you can work on one"
he wiped his tears and said
"Yes, we will tell Ms Foley to buy me also homework"

Over breakfast I caught Manav wiping the milk off his mouth with his t-shirt sleeve.
"Manav, please use a napkin" I chided
"But Mommy Caillou's father does that" and I remembered the scene on TV when Caillou and Daddy were sharing milk before bed and he did wipe off his "moustache" with the sleeves. I mumbled something about it being just a pretend thing and not real.

This morning Manav played his last soccer match. Season being over he will receive his trophy next Tuesday. In a last minute effort to get some "soccer sense" into Manav Caunteya was showing him you-tube clips of Lionel Messi's goals. Manav said
"The Lions are winning Papa" and cheered him on.
At the end of the video he did ask a very pertinent question
"But Papa, look how his teammates are passing him the ball, mine never do. How will I score a goal?"
and Caunteya was happy that Manav was actually following the game.

Today more than once Manav had remarked
"I don't want it to be night Mommy" and he does that when he is having too much fun and doesn't want it to end.
and I don't want him to grow up anymore as I am having too much fun with him right now. But we both know night will happen every day and soon Manav will also turn five. Till then let me rest my keyboard here with the sign I saw at "Image Cleaners" on my way to Yoga last Friday
"Drop your pants here"

1 comment:

  1. Highlight of the post - Manav's presence of mind! Touch wood - but he sure is too smart for his age (in a positive meaning).. That clubbed together with his sweetness and the and ignorance of his age that he maintains, it makes him a truly adorable kid! Love Arnav's remarks, especially the catch from the queen bee song! Loads of love and good wishes!

    ReplyDelete