Monday, May 2, 2011

100 pennies

Royal marriage, death of a terrorist, tornado wrecking havoc, elections back home or whatever the big news is Manav and Arnav are oblivious to any. Their world is the one uncomplicated haven to which I have the luxury to retreat whenever I want. Join me now in one such journey leaving behind your complicated world.

On way back from school today, Manav said almost in tears
"Mommy when you are old I still cannot drive."
"Of course you will drive Manav, don't worry about that"
"No Mommy, when we come to the corners I won't know whether to go straight or turn" he cried
"You will know all the routes Manav, or you can use the GPS. Don't worry" I comforted him
"I don't want you to grow old Mommy" he finally sealed it.
"Ok, Manav. That will take a while, so for now we are fine" Maybe Manav will invent the immortality potion.

Cars are great conversation places. Especially ours since it doesn't have any great music or a DVD player. So we talk. Here are a few, over the days:

"Mommy, why do boys bow and girls pull at their skirts after a show?" Manav asked and I always ask the source of his question and this one was from Diego's and Alyssia's performance

"Mommy if you have 100 pennies in a ziploc you can exchange it for a dollar" courtesy Ms Foley

"There is air in the tires?" When Caunteya said he needs to fill air in the car
"Yes"
"Oh yes, without the air the car's tires will get squished as Diego's tires got squished" Manav self explained.

"If you go that way you will be born" Arnav said pointing to the route where we had earlier shown  the kids the hospital where they were born.  

"Mommy, if you take one of your dangerous sewing pins and prick a balloon it will pop. We should try that" Manav dreams big.

Last night we all piled into the "big" bed at night to sleep. They were already tired from another nap-less weekend evening and we were sure they will fall asleep in no time. But they kept on talking. Caunteya said
"We need to rest now. Lets stop talking and sleep"
"Yes, the brain is not working any more" added Manav
"Why, not working?" asked Arnav
"It gets difficult to think any more" Manav went on
"Why, it is difficult?" asked Arnav
"It has been such a long day" Manav sighed
"Why long day? " Arnav continued.
Caunteya joked something about packing Arnav and his "Why's" away to which Arnav retorted
"I will not talk to you any more, I promise"

Today Manav changed into his Nike socks, shoes, white t-shirt and got his bat and ball out for some cricket. Arnav said
"Oh you are Minnesota and I am Grasshoppers" Grasshoppers are the soccer team at YMCA and Minnesota were playing ice-hockey once on TV.
"Arnav, we are not playing soccer nor ice-hockey. It is cricket, ok, cricket understood?"
"Ok" Arnav said

"Mommy look you have to hold the bat like this, see this finger that I always bite (jutting his thumb out) and this one (forming a V with the thumb and the pointer) this has to be in line with the back of the bat (pointing to the intersection of the fingers)" Manav showed me
"Now you have to keep your eyes on the ball" he said when I bowled.
"Mommy, doesn't matter what bat you hold, the line of the ball is very important" he continued coaching
"What is the line of the ball?" I asked
"See where the ball comes from and falls, that is the line" he said
He had already delegated Arnav to be the fielder and once did let him bat only to show him how to field. He seemed to be in a jovial mood
"See you hit some, you miss some. I am not crying" Manav said
"You are a big boy. Big boys don't cry" Arnav said

Weather played spoilt sport hence we were stuck in the house all evening. Manav put on he Nike socks in his hands and said
"I have Polar Bear creature power" and went on to rescue baby animals just like Wild Kratz. He said he wanted to play with a neighbor. When I said he misbehaves with that kid Manav said
"He is not a seal. I will not hurt him. I am a polar bear, I just eat seals for food, I will not hurt people"

We read, played some, made phone calls etc. and when Caunteya came they built some with Lego blocks. They built things which they called "vacuum train", "shooting gun", "microscope" which led to the discussion regarding intricate differences between a microscope, telescope, magnifying glass and a binocular. Thus empowered with knowledge beyond their years (or so I think) they ended their day while I stretched it for dwelling in their world a wee bit more.

1 comment:

  1. Great post DJ ! Their world is certainly so beautiful... Wish we could be kids forever!

    ReplyDelete