Sunday, May 8, 2011

Roll Number 44

Trio of events unfolded on Friday. I received the Mother's Day gifts at school. It coincided with the staff appreciation week end date so I handed over the hand sewn apron gifts to the teachers. And I chopped off my hair. Manav said
"Mommy I didn't recognize you".
Here are the pictures.








The afternoon naps are getting longer. They sleep like logs and I am torn between waking them up so that they sleep on time at night or letting them sleep in lieu of a few more minutes of peace before the storm. Arnav woke up and appeared in the living room driving his truck. Then we started talking. Manav yelled from his room
"You guys are too noisy. You will wake me up"
"Shhh....dada is sleeping." Arnav chided.
"Manav you need to wake up now. Your homework is waiting" I said in an effort to pull him out of bed
"Mommy, do you know how hard I worked at school today? I need to sleep" Manav said and then went on to start the boombox to doze off while listening to music. That's how they sleep at night these days.

The boys were playing with the pennies after their afternoon nap. Manav wanted to collect 100 pennies to trade for a dollar in the bank. He would line them up and start counting only to forget the number till he counted last. After what seemed like ages amidst frustrated whining and keeping Arnav away from jumping around the "penny train" he finally reached 100. Meanwhile he sent me on a google trip saying
"Obama's roll number is 44"
"Who said that Manav?"
"Ms. Foley" enough information to prompt a google search. And I discovered that Obama is the 44th President of USA.

We replaced all the crayons and markers with washable ones in anticipation of our move into a new house. I did not expect this to be a learning curve for the boys. Arnav takes off the cover and has a tough time locating it again. So Manav said
"Arnav let me show you. The small side goes on the bottom while you are using the marker and the big side is used for closing the marker." There is very little difference though between the "big" and the "small" side so Arnav keeps faltering and there is more whining 
"Arnav you keep saying no, no I don't want omelet, that is why you are not strong. You cannot put things together." Manav somehow manages to keep the whining at bay.

Today Manav insisted on buying his own Nike socks for tennis. We didn't find any at Walmart so he bought the Walmart brand instead and also added a t-shirt and shorts set. Arnav went around the store trying to find out "something to buy" and loaded the cart with more socks, t-shirts, shorts and underwear. We didn't buy any of those and worst - Arnav didn't notice. Makes me feel more guilty.
"Mommy you can join us. I will teach you tennis. You have to hit the ball over the net" Manav said
"I will teach Mommy too. Both of us will teach Mommy" Arnav chimed in but I stayed back to work on dinner while Caunteya "coached" the kids in the tennis court.

It being a weekend we all piled onto the big bed to sleep. They sleep by themselves in their own room on weekdays. From left to right on the bed it is Manav, Caunteya, Arnav and me. Arnav kept on reiterating
"Mommy I like you" and nuzzled and kissed me umpteen times.
And when I stepped away to leave as they dozed off Arnav murmured
"Don't go" which still sounds more like "Non't go".
That made me linger a while longer and I couldn't help wondering till when will he cling to me like this. Till when will he think I am the centerpiece of his life. Till when will he be this devoted to me. Till when will Mother's Day bring along such cute gifts. Till when will Manav wrap himself around me when Caunteya is mad at him. Till when? I am reminded of what Manav said a few days ago
"Mommy baby birds don't know how to fly" in a I-cant-believe-it tone.
And my babies are slowly but steadily spreading their wings ready to fly.
"Non't go".

1 comment:

  1. Aww, such an emotional post! Oh don't worry, they wont go ... I am sure the feeling is really mutual; the way we cant let go our Moms even at this age, so would it be with them!

    ReplyDelete