Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Flower Pot and Hand Prints

Two things happened on the same day . Manav received his soccer medal and he got his 4 years' check-up done. Yesterday afternoon we went for his check-up. He asked me
"Will they injure me?"
"Why would they do that Manav"?
"They do that, to keep the germs away, you know" he said rolling his big eyes and then it struck me
"Oh you mean injection?"
"Yes, yes, injection. That does injure doesn't it?" he corrected but made it sound as an afterthought.
"I am not sure, we'll see" I dismissed it honestly
At the checkup, he behaved like a grown up 4 year old. He aced his vision and hearing tests. Answered and did everything the doctor asked him to. He was very happy....until the "injury" happened. He was poked 4 times and he did cry. I had to take Arnav out for a walk. When we came to the room, Arnav said
"Let us get him a lollipop, then he will feel better" and we did.
Then he pointed to Manav's thigh and said
"Mommy look stickers"
"They are NOT stickers, they are band-aids" retorted a tearful Manav
In the car Manav said
"Arnav if you want shots you have to come to Dr Guetersloh's office. The nurse will be very fast, if she is slow it will hurt you more"
"Yes, I will come to Dr. Gueterslot's office"

And evening brought the much anticipated soccer medal award ceremony complete with pizza and juice. The whole gym was packed with little ones and their parents and it was a chaotic ceremony. Manav beamed with his medal.


Arnav wanted to try on the medal while we were driving back. Manav grudgingly obliged
"When you are done you give it back to me because this is my medal" he said
"Here, you can have it" Arnav returned it back
"Did your neck hurt Arnav?" he asked
"No"
"It will. This is a medal for 4 year olds, you are 2 year old, it will hurt you" Manav said
"Mommy this looks like a stethoscope" Manav observed and with this connection the two events ended.

We stopped for the mail on our way back.
"Mommy can I have my card." Manav said
"What card Manav?"
"Remember Ma sent me a card for my birthday?" My mother did send him a birthday card from India which never reached
"Oh, that one, I think that is lost"
And while we were talking Caunteya came in with the post and handed over the card to Manav. He was literally shaking with excitement as it was too pure and sheer a coincidence. We opened the card and he kept slapping his forehead, clapping his hands and saying
"Oh, thank God this card reached. We thought it was lost. Mommy see it also has a letter. Arnav you will get your card in July. Don't take mine"

While I put him in bed last night he said
"The doctor said I have to sleep by myself right?"
"Yes, Manav. You are a big boy now"
"Ok, I think dinosaur will do the trick" and brought a polar bear, dinosaur, his puppy, his borthday card and the pinwheel the doctor's office had given him to sleep with.
After a couple of minutes both the boys walked into our bedroom
"Mommy you didn't tuck me well. The legs are coming out" Manav said
"Mommy you didn't kiss me well." Arnav said
After more tucking and kissing they did sleep off. Manav came to my bedside at night and said
"Mommy my legs are again coming out of the blanket. You will have to tuck me in"
I checked, it was 3 AM, I just pulled him on the bed and we slept. I know I should have walked him back to his room hence the confession. Today he did get a bigger blanket, let's see.

While Caunteya was brushing him, Manav said
"I am not swallowing paste Papa. Some toothpaste hides in the teeth even when I spit it out."

Will mention another incident and call it a day.
"Mommy I have made something for you for Mother's day and it is a surprise. You can guess it but I cannot tell you"
"Is it a card?"
"No"
"Is it a flower"? "chocolate?" "hand prints?" and some more and I got "No" in reply to each
"It is something you keep the flowers in"
"Oh, a vase" I said triumphantly
"No" he said
After a few more tries both of us were getting frustrated so he mouthed the words and I said
"A flower pot !!"
"Yes, I painted it pink and wrote Mommy from Manav in it. The 'N' is a mistake there as I wrote too fast. I am sorry. You cannot see it now. The paint has to dry off. You can take it home on Friday. You cannot wait to see it right?" he gushed excitedly.
"Oh, Manav. I cannot wait to see it. Thank you"
And he beamed.

There I don't feel all that great letting out the surprise and secret but I had no other option but to continue with the guessing game. He wouldn't have me not guess it. When I asked Arnav what he made for Mommy, he was clueless. Though I pretty much know what he did as on way back from school today he explained to me
"You dip your hand in paint, put it on paper and done" and those are the unmistakable tiny hand prints that I will get. I will confirm my guess soon.

Yes, Mother's day it is. And thanks to their teachers the boys have gotten me great gifts over the last couple of years and I cherish them. All I ask for is that they remain this devoted to me always. As for me I have no choice and the only time when I am happy without one. I am committed to loving them all my life since the moment I saw them for the very first time.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Lucky You (for the Mother's Day gifts), may you have tens of more Mother's days in your life, all clad with lovely gifts from the lovely kids (even after they grow up)! Manav looks super cute with the medal on, tell him that I also share the injection fear with him - the nurse makes good fun of me in each of my visits these days :( Great read DJ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Debjani! this post made me mushy inside! Specially the boys' guessing game - Manav deliberately and Arnav unwittingly! Ur keepsake box must be overflowing with these gifts and mementos.

    ReplyDelete