Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fall

This morning I had to wean the boys off the TV so I said
"Hey come here. Look, when I opened the garage door I found something nice"
They were rolling on the carpet after having switched off the TV.
"I am TV brained" Manav said
"I am brain dead" Arnav added
"Come out, see what I found"
As expected they scampered out. They expectantly scanned the area around the garage but couldn't find anything.
"What is it Mommy?" both chimed.
I did my hindi movie style circles with spread hands and head tilted towards the sky and sang
"I can smell the fresh air and the chill makes me feel - fall is in the air, fall is in the air, fall is everywhere"
And when I looked at the boys I saw that perplexed stare mutely conveying "What's wrong with her?"
"What special things happen in fall guys?" I asked, not deterred at all
"We fall" came a sullen reply from Manav.
And then we all burst out laughing and continued to do so till the boys were bundled in the car and driven off to school.

I walked in and felt this weird feeling. I initially actually never missed the boys when they started going to school full time. But somewhere along the way I did start to miss them and would want the clock to circle nearer to 3 so that I can get them back. Its a weird thing - this human heart.

The other day I took the kids to the park. It is beautiful weather now and the outdoors beckons us always. When we were coming back to the car Manav said
"I can get my voice 3 meters high"
"What?" I was confused
"When I yell, I raise my voice. I am saying I can raise it 3 meters high like this" and yelled a bit
"Oh I see. And have you noticed when the voice is raised it hurts in the throat and doesn't feel great at all" I wanted to make this a learning moment.
"Here see how a 4 metres raise is?" And he yelled louder. Arnav joined in too. They kind of ignored my comment.
And then we went on to demonstrate 1m, 2m and I introduced them to the concept of -1, -2 by whispers. Not sure if they followed the negative number line concept but loved the whisper level.

Arnav told me the other day that
"I have to swallow a bubble in my mouth. That way I will not talk when Ms Foley is talking. If I talk then I will have to stand with my nose on the door."
"If Ms Williams gets mad at me I will have to lose my place on the square. I don't want that as I want to learn and study in school" Manav added.

I wondered what would make this disciplined at home. Should I enforce the nose-on-door or lose-your-square rule. Well nothing will work, I guess, that is because they have already figured out the universal fact - "We will get away with it at home". Just that it hasn't become "We will get away with anything at home". So long...

Please NOTE:

To all my readers, I want to convey my heartfelt thanks for reading and leaving comments. Special thanks to my parents, in-laws, Sheetal, Sharoon and Caunteya for reading each one of my posts so far.

I will be sort of underground for a while, maybe till the end of this year, as I am working on something. Do come back in 2012 as I plan to be more regular then. If you are already a "follower" of my blog I will send a mail when I post again. You can become a follower by clicking on the 'Join this site' button on the right of this page. If I cannot resist posting or there is really something I need to write about, I will go ahead and you will receive an email earlier (than 2012)

2 comments:

  1. No!!!! I was so glad to see this post - until I reached the last Note - I have teary eyes now :( Not fair, well, actually yes - but I'll sure miss it more than anyone else would! Anyway, you have good luck with your work - for me, I'll keep looking forward to the "really something" which you'll need to write about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come back! No excuses for that "thing" you are working on! You are multi-tasker extra ordinary! I won't have it! I will protest and have that jhanda flying in front of your door!

    ReplyDelete