Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blankets ruffle

Yes,  "Blankets ruffle when a child wakes up", said Manav tearfully with a bleeding pointer finger which he had cut on my rotary cutter from the sewing table. Here's the backdrop.

This happened a few days ago. I had dutifully put the boys to bed and sprang to work on my gathered clutch on my new sewing machine. I saw that Manav had woken up and taken his usual position by the table offering me his help. He does that, I mean passes me the scissors, thread, bobbins, buttons, measuring tape etc. I was very much into how-to-sew-the-zipper-sandwich when I saw something from the corner of my eye...Manav bleeding and sobbing incoherently....will censor the rest and come to the topic...oh yes he was fine after a long time though.

A while later Manav says "Mommy I will never help you with sewing. It is dangerous. Kids cannot help with cutters and scissors, adults learn how  to use them, they can work with dangerous things."
"I am sorry Manav. It was my mistake. I knew you were sleeping and I left that cutter in "on' position. I should've been more careful and turned it off"
"Yes, Mommy. You have to be careful when there are little boys around. Blankets ruffle when they wake up. And when you hear the blankets ruffling you have to turn off your cutter"
"Yes, Manav. I am so sorry"
"Its OK Mommy.....but I think I can help you with the less dangerous stuff...like buttons, threads, bobbins......but no scissors and cutters"


The culprit, which I could finish the next day......I did keep listening for the blanket ruffle though all the while.

Adding another episode which needs to be mentioned. A week ago we added two barstools to our meagre furniture in the living room ( meagre coz how else would the boys get to play their football, ice hockey, cricket, soccer, tennis and more.....I know what you're thinking, we do have gem of neighbors downstairs). It was an instant hit with the kids as they now had a great view of the kitchen island and all "interesting" things thereupon. As with any new addition to the house a lecture about safety and usage was handed out with a set of rules as well, which Manav absorbed as intended.

Next morning when Arnav was trying to climb onto the bar stool unaided, he said
"Arnav, see this is metal (knocks on the back rest a couple of times) and you can get hurt if you try to climb this without the help of an adult. They will help you now but when you become an adult they will become old and you have to help them climb up the bar stool"
Arnav said "OK" and continued climbing on the stool and there was a big "Mooommmmmmy" siren as expected.

We know Manav is learning new words and excited to use them when he says things like this:
- Today morning "Mommy I accidently cleaned my nose with my sleeve, that means I didn't want to clean but I did ."

- When Arnav was coloring "Arnav is a baby so he cannot do quality coloring, that means he cannot color inside the lines"

- While brushing ( see didn't I tell you that's a big deal in our house....keeps popping up) "Arnav brushing is not negotiable, that means you have to brush"

Oh, I just heard a blanket ruffle....gotta go.


No comments:

Post a Comment