Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sasquatch and Secret Agent

This morning (I was about to write 'today morning' when I heard my sis-in-law's voice ringing clear in my head "it is either 'this morning' or 'today'". (a) She is a teacher (b) She is American so I am excused) Caunteya gave the ultimatum
"If you aren't done with your breakfast and not ready for school by the time I am ready for work, I will leave without you" He drops the boys to school.
Manav whined, Arnav ignored.
Manav started finishing his milk and waffle in a big hurry and then heard Caunteya in the bathroom.
"Mommy, Papa will take too much time in the bathroom. I can finish" and yes he did make it to school with time to spare.

Today at school they had two drills, a fire drill and a tornado drill. Arnav said
"I didn't cry Mommy, when there was loud siren"
"We put our hands behind our head and lay low on the floor when there is a tornado as objects are flying and they can hurt you" Manav said complete with actions.
Then they had the usual fight about the car seats. Manav fixed the issue by
"Arnav I cannot see Mommy if I sit here. This is a bad seat. Yours is good, you can see Mommy"
 Arnav, during lunch making sure there is not a single strand of cheese left in both his and Manav's plate.

I bought an hourglass today. That kept them busy for a while. My intention was to buy a minute timer so that they can use it for timing their brushing but this one has five minutes. I tried to explain what an hourglass does but failed. The concept of time is still not very clear. A nightmare for me but a bliss for them.


Manav remarked while doing his homework
"I want to go to Bablu Mama's ( my brother's) house"
"Why?" I asked
"I want to see the sasquatch they killed in their backyard"
"What?"
"Yes, Bablu Mama told me he and Wendy Maami killed a sasquatch in their backyard" Manav seemed very convinced.

In the evening we went to visit a friend of mine. Caunteya joined us after work and on our way back home, the family split. Manav was in Caunteya's car and Arnav in mine. I had to switch off the radio as Arnav was chattering non-stop
"Five little ducks went out one day
Over the hills and far away
Mother duck said quack quack quack
but no one came back"
"What are you saying Arnav?" I asked
"House of the ducks and house of the moon" pat came the reply
"House of the moon?" I was perplexed
"Yes, see can you see the moon?"
I looked out of the window and saw this beautiful full moon ( or maybe almost full moon, I am not sure) flitting between the clouds.
"It is moving, going to its house" Arnav added.

After a nice bath after dinner Manav walked out of the bathroom in a weird gait.
"What happened Manav?" I asked thinking his legs hurt or something
"Nothing, I am a secret agent" he said
"But why are you walking like that?"
"I had water on my feet, I was trying to dry them while walking"
"Secret agents do that?"
"No, I did that because I had water on my feet" came a vehement reply
"Where did you hear about secret agents"? I asked, not able to follow
"On the TV, backyardigans" he said
I simply concluded that secret agents and water-on-feet are unrelated.

Manav was on his bed and I asked
"Do you want me to tuck you in?"
"No"
"Ok, good night then" I was eager to leave as I was hungry.
"You might want to tuck me in as I am wearing shorts and I will be cold" he said
Of course, that's exactly what I said yesterday when he refused the blanket.

Consistency is the key and kids are brutal at remembering every little thing you say or do. Parenthood allows no slacking, even for a moment. Secret Agents are watching you.

No comments:

Post a Comment