Friday, February 11, 2011

Mute

The morning started on a slow note, I was hurting from yesterday's fall, nothing major but had no ear for the conversations. I ended up making french toast for breakfast which is a rarity in a weekday. Manav said
"I love french toast"
"I want cee-dee-awl (cereal), no french toast" Arnav wailed
"When there is something special, you just eat it Arnav, don't say anything" Manav preached
"Nooo, I want cee-dee-awl" and thats what Arnav had

When I picked up the boys from school Manav said
"I will never come to school again"
"Why Manav?" I was very surprised as Manav loves school to pieces
"The other children disturb me always. They don't let me talk"
I clarified with Ms Foley that they are not allowed to speak when they are doing their class work and that infuriated Manav.
I tried telling him on our way back that he is the one disturbing his friends when he talks and they work.
"No they like to hear me talk" which I am sure was all made up.
I went a bit further, "Did Ms Foley put you in timeout?"
"No, she didn't. She doesn't have a room"
Today they got their 6 weeks assessment cards as well. Manav's said
"Manav is very capable and just needs to slow down a little and focus" Genes are magic. That's me they are talking about (the 'capability' is debatable though)
Arnav's said "Arnav has blossomed so much in the last few months!" Tell me about it

Today I was busy getting and making things for a lunch spread for tomorrow's guests. The lunch I provided the children is thus excused (it is idli and sugar) 

They lapped it up though. Manav talked about good table manners.
"Papa's teacher taught him to eat with his mouth closed" he said
"Yes, and we should not talk too much while eating" I said and got reminded that this is the second time in a day that Manav is being told not to talk. I remember how anxious we were to hear him speak, how we would try to figure out what he was babbling and each new word would make me swell (more) in pride. Now it is all taken for granted and the magic is all gone. Sigh !

TV acted as the cello tape on their mouth. It robbed us of our talks and laughter. I cooked and cooked some more.

The cricket bats retained their prime seats beside the erstwhile players while they watched 'Backyardigans' on TV.
After TV was done Manav wailed
"When are they coming for lunch?"
"Tomorrow"
"Why tomorrow"
"Because lunch today is done, its evening and then it will be tomorrow and lunch again" Sounds like twisted logic to me when I write.
"No, it is tomorrow already, why aren't they coming?" I had to divert him, we weren't getting anywhere with this.

"What do you want for dinner?"
"Subway sandwich"
So Subway sandwich and intellectual discussion about how Manav should sleep in his room through the night, was for dinner tonight.
"Do you want to play tennis, soccer and football when you grow up?"Caunteya asked
"Yes" Manav said
"So you need to go to college for that. And for going to college you need to finish high school and for high school you need to go through middle school and for middle school, elementary needs to be done. And you cannot do elementary if you don't sleep in your room all night"
"Shreya has her bed in her parents room. She goes to elementary school" Manav said after processing all the information.
"Who said that?" I asked
"The kid"
"Who?"
"Shreya"
Though I am pretty sure he made that up, I made a mental note of confirming with the parents. You never know.
Caunteya spun an interesting tale combining the elements of trust and sport and the same trust that Papa is there in the other room, no need to check that every hour. It is just like the trust each player has on the other player in a game.
I could see Manav's brain was on an overdrive judging from the fact that he would go silent for an entire minute and then say something. He was well aware of the enormity of the task that he was signing up for in return for going to elementary school and playing sports. Neither of the things he was as sure of as sleeping with Papa whenever he wakes up at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment